Last updated on November 23rd, 2017
“Music is the universal language of mankind”
We all love listening to music. And at some point of time, we all have thronged the concerts and bought the CDs of our favorite music band. In the U.S, the craze for new music albums continues and it is giving a boost to the music industry and business. According to an estimate mentioned in futureofmusic.com, there were 33,700 musical groups and artists in America in 2013. There were 39,260 music directors and composers. In 2016, 100.3 million music album units were sold.
Based on the above metrics, audience for music bands is growing by leaps and bounds. But, there is a stiff competition as there are already so many musical groups vying for people’s attention. If you have a music band, to get your name out there, marketing your music is essential.
Firstly, you must take right steps of marketing the type of music your band plays. Like products or services, music also should be aggressively pushed in a market so that its audience notices it quickly. Remember, similar to businesses, there is a tough competition in selling a music album too. There are plenty of other music bands and their albums are competing with each other for the attention of customers in a store.
Here Are 10 Best Ways To Promote Your Music Band In 2017
01. Make Good Use Of Social Media
These are the days of social media. Everyone has an account on popular social channels like Facebook and Twitter. Your music band should make efforts to build an audience on social media, which is a key to reach out to millions of your potential customers. Here is what you can do:
- Grow your fan following and followers and engagement on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other channels.
- Post a premiering track on social media
- Make your music track viral on social channels, which fires the imagination of audience about the album before it hits a market.
- Make your social media pages exciting and engaging
- Post your band’s music and content and talk about your concerts very often on the social channels.
02. Own An Exciting Logo
Business logos are essential to register a dominating presence in a given market. The same is true for music bands also. A logo of your band steadily builds an identity of its own due to visual elements such as color and typeface used in a creative way. As people regularly see your music band logo in musical stores and in your advertisement materials, they start identifying your band in your niche market.
To get unique logo design ideas, crowdsource your logowork to Designhill. As you launch your logo design contest on this marketplace, you get dozens of new design concepts from as many logo designers. You can then pick one winning logo for your music band.
03. Play In Local Events And Street Fests
You should think of building an audience in real life as well. One of the tactics is to take your music band to local events and venues. That is a good starting point for your band as you can introduce your type of music to local crowds and notice their reaction. Here is what you can do:
- Play your music on streets, especially during street fests.
- If some newspapers and local publications feature your music, talk about it on social channels.
- Play your band very often at a certain venue. This will help your audience identifying your brand of music. It also helps in growing a fan base.
04. Have A Unique Album Cover
Each time you release your music album, pay attention to its cover design. Remember that there are already plenty of music albums in a rack when people visit a store. You need to compel them to have a look at your album. Your album’s cover design plays a key role in drawing their attention. So, create a CD cover design that catches eye with its unique concept and strategic use of typeface, images, color.
05. Lure Your Audience With Promotional Gifts
A proven way to promote your music band is to entice them to your music. This you can do by giving away some promotional items of daily use.
- Give them t-shirts that have your band’s name/logo. You can have your song lyrics written on t-shirts in a cool hand-lettering.
- Create some cool tshirt designs that express the spirit of your music band and distribute it randomly to your audience.
- Many other promotional items such as drinkware, pencils, stickers, pins, and patches also are great to draw the attention of people.
06. Stick Posters Of Your Band In Your Town
Wherever there is free space available in your town on walls, see if you can stick your posters of your music band. People who are passing by will have a glance at the posters. This is an easier and less costly way to get noticed immediately. Use posters as a cheaper medium of publicity. Here are some points:
- Your poster design should catch attention immediately.
- Make sure that your band’s poster uses images; illustrations etc that speak about the type of music you play.
- Create artistic and visually appealing posters.
07. Start Blogging About Your Music
One of the effective promotional strategies is to project you as an authority in your field. When people believe in what you are saying, they want to buy things that you make or recommend. An easier way to convince that you do quality music is to start your blog and post your opinion on the music industry, current music scenario, review other albums, and so on. But consider these things too:
- Write your posts in authoritative tone. In the end, it has its own impact on the audience. Many of them become loyal followers of your music.
- Make sure that your blog design is also equally impressive and exciting as is your music.
- Put your logo at the top of your blog site.
- Create your blog in colors taken from your logo so that people can identify your blog with your band.
08. Podcast Your Music
Another great way to reaching out to your audience is to podcast your music. You will get new listeners regularly. Many podcasts feature regular music from a specific band. Take these steps:
- Approach them to have your band’s album played sometimes for their intros and request them to feature your song in their podcasts.
- You can also start your own podcast that is dedicated to your own brand of music.
- If you do not know how to start, a step-by-step podcasting guide can help.
09. Target Local People In Your Emails
If you believe in email marketing as a tool of business promotion, then make sure that you target local audience. There is no point in sending emails to people who simply cannot attend your next show in your city as they are living in another country or too far away from your town. Here is what you can do:
- Collect as many email addresses as you can from your town using your links with friends, neighbors, offices, and even family members
- Keep your own city people in mind when sending emails.
- Most importantly, your email design must be catchy and unique to convey your brand’s message.
10. Distribute Flyers
Another way to promote your music band is to create impressive leaflets/handouts and distribute them to whoever is going around. Flyers are cost-effective marketing materials that your small music band can easily afford.
These one leaf thin sheet of paper quickly deliver vital information about your music band and any event that any event it is organizing. Make sure that you create a catchy flyer with a big image and necessary information about an event.
Lastly, you should be promoting your music band on all the available platforms. But most importantly, your visual identity will matter a lot in your efforts to reach your audience.Market your music using impressive visuals like logos, social media, flyers, CD covers, and more. Upping your branding in a creative way can surely give you an ever-growing fan base and followers.