Last updated on December 13th, 2017
A large number of graphic designers are often to be seen in a lookout for ‘Big’ design clients. But impressing such big-ticket clients is no mean feat! It takes an expert to fish out for big clients, win their trust, get to manage their design projects and earn fat paychecks. Are you too looking for big-ticket clients? Do you wish to work for big clients and get your name spelled in the same breathe as Saul Bass, Paul Rand, Michael Beirut, etc.? If you’re nodding your head in a yes to any of these questions, you’re at the right place.
Read on to know how to grab the attention of big clients and get to work with them.
- Experience Matters – Before you start your efforts to fish out the ‘Big’ client, it makes sense to get a hang of how things work in the design circuit. Remember, most big clients prefer working only with trusted and experienced designers in order to get an assurance of highest-quality standards for their design projects. Therefore, it makes sense to create a lot of creative logo design, business cards, brochures, social media page designs, etc. to get some experience before you start looking for big clients.
- Competition Is Important – If you’re looking to add some real noteworthy experience to your resumes, do well to participate in design contests at a reliable and trustworthy crowdsourcing site such as Designhill. This custom design crowdsourcing marketplace boasts of a thriving community of 30000+ designers and an amazing line-up for ‘big-ticket’ clients who launch design contest, every now and then.
- Build Design Portfolios – If you have no experience or little experience and have been participating regularly in design contests, you may upload your contest entries in your design portfolio. By doing this, soon you’ll be able to build a really nice portfolio for yourself. But why do you need to build a portfolio? The answer is simple! Because most big-ticket design clients look for portfolios to judge design skills of designers they plan to hire for their projects.
- Do Some Research – So you think you’ve got enough experience and are all set to pitch to clients? Don’t forget to do your homework and run a research at your end. Do well to find out how much does a prospective client pays, what are their terms and what’s their approach towards freelance graphic designers. Do well to check out the reviews of their employees and customers. Researching this information beforehand will help you make the right strategy to win them right from the get go.
- Solve Client Problems – One of the sure fire ways to be noticed by big-ticket clients is to make them see the point that you can provide a foolproof solution of their design related problems. So, it is important to find out what their design issues are or find out design related issues that haven’t yet come to their notice. Then, provide them the workflow, ideas and samples on how your design assistance can help them fix their issues. This is one trick that can help you grab the attention and interest of many big-ticket clients.
Okay, I get it! But I am happy managing smaller clients!
Why Should I Care About Winning Big Clients?
Well, there can be many answers to this question, but let us stick to the basics to keep thing a little non-complicated. Remember, if you’re looking to grow professionally in your career, you’ll need to look out for big-ticket clients. It may sound too difficult and too daunting to find out the big clients. But, once you’re get your first breakthrough, a window of opportunities is opened to you. One thing may lead to the other and soon you may become the ‘Next Big Thing’ in the design circuit.
Consider these simple to follow tips and we’re sure you’ll be able to find ‘Big’ clients soon enough!