In this social media era, images are no more just pictures of people and objects anymore. Business owners are using images on social channels to promote their brands. They create and incorporate images that suit best the channels’ different settings for the desired impression. This brings us to the importance of the updated right social media image sizes. In this blog, we have shared the complete guide on how to choose the right sizes of social media images for your social media platforms.
The use of images on social media platforms is today a part of marketing strategies to promote brands and individuals. Even a largely text-based social channel will work best for your brand if you post images with the text content.
However, you must first know about the perfect social media image sizes. One of the reasons why you should care about the image size is the impression.
You would like to make the desired impression on the audience. If you post an image with the wrong dimensions, it is likely to be cropped. It may be that your crucial image elements also are cropped.
Therefore, make sure that you follow the guidelines for social media image sizes. Each social channel has its own set of image dimensions for square and horizontal images. You can personalize an image only within those sizes.
Most of the social channels constantly change their social media sizes. You never know when they will resize a cover photo for your account.
While you took the utmost care to post a cover photo with the right image size, the next moment you find it resized. However, the resized photo may look pixelated.
The Importance Of Getting The Right Social Media Image Sizes
You must post only an image of your brand products or personal pictures that adhere to the image size guidelines of the social channels. Your brand wishes to build trust through a visual content campaign on social media.
In that case, the right image size can ensure that the visual content is effective and impressive. You can also take the help of social media templates available online to create a perfect social media image for various social platforms.
Since social channels regularly change their image dimensions, you need to figure out what sizes are currently perfect. This helps you in timely tweaking your image sizes before your audience gets a wrong impression.
With the right image sizes, you can avoid pixelation of images. That is the way to make your images look professional. With an optimized social channel’s feed image, you can engage your audience with your brand. This helps also in doing the right brand messaging.
So, Here Are The Social Media Image Sizes That You Need To Follow In 2022
01. Facebook Image Sizes
Although Facebook is a text-based social channel, it works well for individuals and brand promotion when images match with the text content. But these images must adhere to the updated image sizes that Facebook changes constantly.
Here Are The Latest Facebook Image Sizes
Facebook image sizes for profile photos: 170 x 170 pixels on desktop. For smartphones, it will be 128 x 128 pixels
Facebook image sizes for cover photos: 851 x 315 pixels
- Desktop: 820 x 312 pixels.
- Smartphone: 640 x 360 pixels.
- Minimum Size: 400 x 150 pixels
- File Size: Ideally keep it less than 100KB
- Make sure that you upload images in JPG or PNG file so that there is no distortion or compression of images.
- Prefer a PNG file in case your profile pictures and cover photos space includes logo and text.
- Consider the recommended pixel size only to ensure that your site loads fast.
- It would be best that you avoid repositioning and dragging your cover photo once uploaded.
Timeline Photos And Posts
You do not have to do much for the sizing of images for timelines. This is because Facebook will automatically adjust images as per their size, which is 500 pixels wide, and to fit the 1.91:1 aspect ratio.
However, you should consider an ideal size to avoid pixelation and slow load time.
So, Keep In Mind These Sizes For Timeline And Posts.
- Recommended Size: 1200 x 630 pixels.
- Minimum Size: 600 x 315 pixels.
In the case of sharing 2 to 10 brand images on a Facebook post, keep the image sizes at 1200 x 1200, which is a 1:1 ratio.
Event Cover Photos
If you wish to post cover photos relevant to an event, then keep the image size at 1200 x 628 pixels (recommended)
- Know that in terms of the ratio, the image size is about a 2:1 ratio.
- Another thing to note here is that once you have added an event photo, you can’t edit it. Keep that in mind.
Panorama or 360 Photos
- Minimum Image Size: It should be “30,000 pixels in any dimension and keep it less than 135,000,000 pixels in total size,
- Aspect Ratio: 2:1
- You can pick files for these images up to 45 MB for JPEGs or 60 MB for PNGs.
- Facebook recommends using JPEGs for 360 photos but makes sure that files aren’t bigger than 30 MB.
The recommended image sizes for the stories are 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Note that Facebook Stories cover your entire phone screen, which is an aspect ratio of 9:16.
- You should avoid images that have a lesser width of 500 pixels.
- If your Stories images have text, you should leave 14% space at the top and bottom free of text, which is 250-pixel space. This is the way to ensure that your brand profile photo or buttons do not hide your call-to-action.
If your Facebook runs ads, then there are many image size recommendations you should follow.
Here Are The Sizes
- Feed Ads: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Minimum size – 600 x 600 pixels. Ratio 1.91:1 to 1:1. Maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Right Column Ads: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. The minimum size of 254 x 133 pixels. Ratio 1:1. (Remember: These are a desktop-only ad format.)
- Marketplace Ads: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Ratio 1:1. Maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Messenger Inbox Ads: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Ratio 1:1. Minimum size- 254 x 133 pixels. Maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Messenger Stories Ads: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Ratio 9:16. Minimum width- 500 pixels.
- Instant Articles: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Ratio 1.91:1 to 1:1. Maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Search: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Minimum size- 600 x 600 pixels. Ratio 1.91:1 to 1:1. Maximum file size of 30 MB.
- Sponsored Messages: At least 1080 x 1080 pixels. Ratio 1.91:1 to 1:1. Maximum file size of 30 MB.
02. Twitter Image Sizes
Business owners and individuals often post tweets that have images. They can then expect more shares, likes, retweets, and click-throughs. So, tweets with images are much preferred over plant text-based tweets.
Studies also have revealed that tweets accompanying visuals engage viewers many times more than non-visual tweets. But, Twitter has its image size requirements that you need to meet.
The Twitter profile picture size should be 400 x 400 (recommended). But consider also the minimum image size: 200 by 200 pixels. The image size should not exceed file size: 2MB.
Header Photos: 1500 x 500 pixels (recommended)
- Make sure that you use the maximum recommended size of images for long term use.
- When posting images, consider that the header images are cropped to an aspect ratio of 3:1.
- Also, the header images display will depend on the browser and monitor used.
- 1024 x 512 pixels (recommended).
- Minimum Size: 440 x 220 pixels.
- Recommended Aspect Ratio: 16:9.
- Supported Formats: GIF, JPG, and PNG.
- Maximum File Size: Up to 5MB for photos and GIFs on mobile. Up to 15MB on the web.
Card Image Size
When a tweet includes a URL, Twitter recognizes to crawl the website to pull content and image for the summary card.
- Minimum Size: 120 x 120 pixels.
- Supported Formats: GIF, JPG, PNG.
- Maximum File Size: 1MB
- Make sure that you preview and test your Twitter summary card image by using the card validator.
- Note that many Twitter card types such as player cards, summary cards, app cards, etc exist and so you can have different sizes of images for them.
Fleets: Image sizes for Twitter fleets are 1080 x 1920 pixels
Just keep in mind that fleets are available for mobiles only.
- Single and Multi-Image Tweets: Minimum 600 x 335 pixels. Use larger images for the best results.
- Website Card Image: 800 x 418 pixels for 1.91:1 aspect ratio. 800 x 800 for 1:1 aspect ratio. Max file size of 20MB.
- App Card Image: 800 x 800 pixels for 1:1 aspect ratio. 800 x 418 pixels for 1.91:1 aspect ratio. Max file size of 3MB.
- Conversation Card: 800 x 418 pixels for 1.91:1 aspect ratio. Max file size of 3MB.
- Carousels: 800 x 800 pixels for 1:1 aspect ratio. 800 x 418 pixels for 1.91:1 aspect ratio. Max file size of 20MB for 2-6 image cards.
- Direct Message Card: 800 x 418 pixels for 1.91:1 aspect ratio. Max file size of 3MB
Looking For a Social Media Page design?
We have helped thousands of business owners from all around the world with their graphic design needs such as a logo design, website design, social media posts, banner design and much more.
Get Your Social Media Page DesignGet a Free Quote
03. Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram is another image-based social media that individuals and businesses consistently use for promotional purposes. They post pictures of activities and products to get the message across to millions of followers.
You can post images either horizontally or vertically on Instagram, giving the flexibility to adjust a picture for impact. It also allows you to post images in square shape.
However, when it comes to Instagram post sizes, it is a bit trickier. You need to stick to the Instagram guidelines to post the images so that they look great.
Profile Photo Size
320 x 320 pixels. This is the image size that profile photos are stored on Instagram. You should ensure that the image size is at least that minimum.
Another thing to note here is that despite the Instagram image dimension being in a square format, the profile photos appear as a circle. This means your important elements of the image must be around its center or they will be chopped off.
Here Are The Different Image Sizes For The Feed
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels.
- Portrait: 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Supported Aspect Ratios: Anywhere between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
- Recommended Image Size: Width of 1080 pixels, height between 566 and 1350 pixels (depending on whether the image is landscape or portrait).
- For the best results, try to upload images that are 1080 pixels wide.
- If you upload images of more than 1080 pixels wide, Instagram will automatically reduce that to the required 1080 pixels.
- Similarly, upload an image that has a resolution of up to 320 pixels and any reduced resolutions will be increased to the level.
- Instagram keeps the original resolution of 320 and 1080 pixels wide photos but its aspect ratio should be between1.91:1 and 4:5 (a height between 566 and 1350 pixels with a width of 1080 pixels).
- In case the image has a different ratio, Instagram will crop it automatically as per the desired ratio.
- Display Size: 161 x 161 pixels.
- Recommended Upload Size: 1080 pixels wide
- Note that Instagram stores versions of these thumbnails that are as large as 1080 x 1080.
- Try to upload as large images as you can so that they remain safe from pixelation in the future.
Image size: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- The image aspect ratio is 9:16.
- Avoid uploading an image of a lesser pixel size or the Story will buffer and it will be cropped.
- Note that Instagram Reels use this same sizing as well.
Carousel Image Sizes
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels.
- Portrait: 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Aspect Ratio: Landscape (1.91:1), Square (1:1), Vertical (4:5).
- Recommended Image Size: Width of 1080 pixels, Height between 566 and 1350 pixels
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels.
- Minimum Width: 320 pixels.
- Maximum Width: 1080 pixels.
- Supported Aspect Ratios: Anywhere between 1.91:1 and 4:5
Note that Instagram does not allow more than 30 hashtags in Instagram ads appearing in users’ feeds
The image size for Instagram image sizes is 1080 x 1920 pixels
Keep in mind that Instagram leaves 250 pixels which are 14% of the top and bottom of the image.
04. YouTube Image Sizes
The recommended YouTube profile photo size: 800 x 800 pixels.
- For the best results, keep the most important element of the photo in its center so that it is not cropped.
- Files should be JPEG, GIF, BMP, or PNG. Avoid animated GIFs as they do not work.
- Photos will be at 98 x 98 pixels.
Banner Image Size: 2048 x 1152 pixels (at minimum).
- Minimum Area For Text And Logos Without Being Cut Off: 1235 x 338 pixels.
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9.
- Maximum File Size: 6 MB
Video Size: 1280 x 720 pixels (at minimum).
- YouTube requires videos to be 1280 x 720 pixels to meet HD standards. This is a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- It is recommended that your videos for sale or rental have a higher pixel count: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
05. Pinterest Image Sizes
Pinterest is a visual-based social media platform that allows businesses and individuals to promote their interests using images and a bit of text.
So, at this platform, your visuals matter a lot in terms of making a lasting impact on the target audience. You should, therefore, take extra care in picking the right Pinterest image sizes as per the recommendations.
Profile Photo: 165 x 165 pixels (recommended).
- On Pinterest, your profile photo will appear circular.
- Image size for Pinterest profile cover photo: 800 x 450 pixels (at minimum).
- You should also avoid putting a portrait photo into the cover photo spot.
- Prefer using a landscape photo with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Square Pins: 1000 x 1000 pixels.
- Aspect Ratio: 2:3 (recommended).
- Recommended Size: 1000 x 1500 pixels.
- Max File Size: 20MB
- Make sure that the aspect ratio is 2:3 so that your audience can see the image details.
- Note also that Pins display images at a fixed width of 236 pixels.
- Know that Pinterest crops images at the bottom.
- You can post images in PNG and JPEG files.
- Recommended Image Size: 1000 x 1000 pixels or 1000 x 1500 pixels
- Aspect Ratio: 1:1 (recommended) or 2:3
- Max File Size: 10MB
- In this format, you will have one big image and three smaller images below.
- Make sure that all the images have the same aspect ratio.
- Collections appear in feeds on mobile devices.
- Both PNG and JPEG files are accepted.
- You can have Collection images in ad format on Pinterest.
- Recommended Size: 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Aspect Ratio: 9:16.
- Max File Size: 20MB.
Ads and Carousels
- Shopping Ads: The recommended aspect ratio is 2:3, and 1000 x 1500 pixels.
- App Install Ads: A 2:3 aspect ratio is recommended. 1000 x 1500 pixels recommended.
- Carousel Pins and Ads: The recommended aspect ratio is 1:1 or 2:3. 1000 x 1500 pixels or 1000 x 1000 pixels. You can upload a maximum of 5 images in a carousel.
06. Twitch Image Sizes
Twitch is amongst the biggest online live streaming game networks. This platform lets you connect with your audience even when you are playing online games.
- Twitch Avatar – Your picture at the Avatar, which is equivalent to a standard profile photo. The recommended image size is 1600 x 1600 pixels (aspect ratio of 1:1).
- Offline Banner – Your followers will see this banner when you are offline. The twitch banner size should be 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Twitch Panel – The image on the panel will be displayed below your live streams. The image size for the panel is 320 x 160 pixels.
- Twitch Video Thumbnail – The video thumbnail size for Twitch is 1280 x 720 pixels.
- Video Player Banner – You should keep your image dimensions for the banner at 1920 x 1080 pixels. You can also custom create your banner using a twitch banner template available online according to your requirements.
So, these are the social media image sizes that you must be aware of for 2022. By keeping these guidelines, you can ensure making the right impression on your audience.
Also, check out how Tech Media Post experts gave advice on how to Social Media effective method to reach your target audience.
Now that we are talking about social media images, make sure that your social media design also is great. You can get an impressive social media page design by launching your design contest at Designhill, a leading creative marketplace.
Many designers will come out with unique design ideas for your campaign and channel. You can then pick a winning design that matches your brand personality shortly.
Social media image sizes matter a lot for brand promotion especially as images make an impression Individuals also must be aware of the changing image dimensions on social channels. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitch each have their own set of changing image sizes. Consider the updated image dimensions to keep your impression on your audience great.