Last updated on January 8th, 2020
If you always thought what’s in a name? It’s time you thought again! In the ever-changing and ever-so-competitive market, a brand name can spell the difference between and success and failure for a startup. A right brand name can turn your humble startup into Biz world’s Next Big Thing, whereas a wrong one can push it to anonymity and misfortune.
Entrepreneur.com reveals in one of its blogs that your startup brand name must effectively convey your expertise, value and uniqueness. But a fair share of aspiring entrepreneurs believe that your startup brand name must be abstract in order to effectively create an image in the market. The discussions and debate about naming a startup are pretty daunting. So, is there a certain way to pick up the best name for your startup? The answer is yes! There are certain tips that you should live by when naming your startup. So, without further ado, let’s explore 5 tips to choose the best name for your startup.
[Tweet “5 Tips to Choose the Best Name For Your startup”]
- Namestorm – If you’re at the helm of a startup and are looking for that perfect name for your new business, do well to namestorm a little! Yes, you read that right. Brainstorm for a new, creative and unique name. Check out different books, magazine and even dictionaries to find creative names. Take help from your friends, peers and subordinates. If you find it difficult, consult an expert. Remember, it’s important to be careful when picking up a business name for it will reflected everywhere, from your custom logo design to your website and from your company banners to billboards.
- Be Unique– When naming your startup, do well to let your creative juices flowing. Simply join two common words to create a new word. Or better yet, go one step further; create a new word by joining two others and combining their meanings. Such words are called portmanteau. Pinterest is a classic example of portmanteau. Remember, finding a witty name for your startup company is no mean feat, but it’s certainly worth all efforts.
- Be Creative – Yet another brilliant way to name your startup is to use your domain name in a unique way to create something unusual and easy to recall. Visua.ly, Last.fm and Secret.ly just some of the many examples of such creative domains. You may use such witty domain names as URL shorteners too.
- Reflect your brand – A better startup name is the one that speaks about what your business and company does. Such names help in branding. To create some buzz, choose a name after a popular character in a novel, film or elsewhere so that common people can relate to it. As per experts at FitSmallBusiness, it’s essential that one put’s some personality in their startup company’s name. People easily recall brand names with a story.
- Time To Test – After you’ve narrowed down a few names for your startup, test these names. Ask for suggestions and feedback from friends, family and even acquaintances. Don’t forget to check the trademark elements of the names that you’ve finalized. If you are finding it difficult, hire a trademark attorney to ensure you’re your new business name isn’t infringing upon someone else’s trademark.
Now, when you’ve already found a unique, creative and memorable name for your startup business, start promoting your new business name immediately. Remember, your startup brand’s name is the first step towards building a strong brand identity in the ever-so-competitive market.
Have these tips help you come up with a name? Do you have something else to add to this list? We’d love to hear from you, please leave us your comments below.
Looking for Customized, On time, Logo Design For Your Startup? Simply, launch a logo design contest and get to choose from 100+ designs.
Our 100% money back guarantee provides an iron-clad protection for your hard-earned money! Finally, a risk-free way of getting a customized design.