Last updated on July 21st, 2016
In this world of internet marketing, Banner ads have become one of the most copious modes of online marketing. Nearly, all business groups, big or small, use them for their online business promotion. So, what has made these banner ads so popular? Well, there are a lot of things that attribute to their success; some of them being their affordability, ease of use and hassle free assessment in terms of delivering desired results. Therefore, now-a-days banner ads have become an integral part of brand building and online promotion methodology. However, without a good banner design nothing can be achieved.
So, if you are a graphic designer who has been assigned the task of banner design, you need to go through the following article before you actually indulge into designing.
- It’s Good to Abide By The Standards- Since, your ads will be displayed online, you should strictly follow the guidelines provided by Google, as it is one of the most popular search engines used worldwide. Then only you can expect the banner ads to perform the function they are intended at. According to Google, four sizes are being regarded as most successful ones: 336×280 Large Rectangle, 300×250 Medium Rectangle, 728×90 Leader board and 160×600 Wide Skyscraper. Now depending on the type of space being provided to you by your client, you are free to choose from any of these.
- Simplicity Always Pays- Prevent yourself from getting tempted that since you have got a chance to design a banner ad, you should stuff it with lots of images and text. Keep the design as simple as possible. Do you know that your viewers are probably going to get a glimpse of it for only a second?So, if you are able to make a mark in this moment you have achieved your target! You can now scream “Bravo I’ve done it”!Source(anglerz.com)
- Make Judicious Use Of Buttons – I guess, all of you must be aware of the fact that buttons can actually increase the Click-Through Rate (CTR) of the website. Don’t get tensed even if you did not know this, as I’m sure after reading this article you will always focus more on the button design and placement.It’s good to have buttons in vibrant and varied colors, different from the ones that are being used in the background.
- Text Clarity Should Be On Top Priority-
This is the most crucial step towards banner ad design as without making your text easily readable you cannot advertise your product. Here two things should be taken into consideration. First of course is the headline which should be bold enough and painted in a different font size and color scheme. Next is your running text which should be at least 4 font sizes smaller than the heading.
Looking at the ‘EMPOWER ME’ banner, you can easily make out as how yours should look like.
- Big File Sizes Should Be Avoided- Since banner ads are going to be displayed on other websites, their sizes do matter. If you too are targeting Google users, then you need to follow Google Adwords suggestion that advocates the use of 150 KB files.
Well friends, these are just a few basic design rules which if you follow while designing a banner ad, your client is sure to appraise you.